Why travel by bus?
Fresh data collated by Stagecoach and Oxford Bus Company has revealed the savings which can be made before factoring in paying to park:
- A return journey between Witney and Oxford via Stagecoach S1 five days a week achieves an annual saving of up to £2,230.30 compared to using a private vehicle.
- A return journey between Abingdon and John Radcliffe Hospital via Oxford Bus Company’s X3 service saves up to £2,318.23 per year compared to using a private vehicle.
The cost savings were calculated based on an average car and includes basic essential car costs but do not include parking costs as they are so variable.
A package of improvements, part of an enhanced partnership, includes new traffic filters in Oxford, bus lanes in Banbury, rural bus pilots and new cross-boundary services – as well as a reduction in youth fares. Find out more about the enhanced partnership.
Margaret Simpson from Cumnor: “Currently it isn’t economical to travel into Oxford by car. Bus services are regular and help reduce congestion and pollution. I do drive a car but I’m increasingly using buses to travel.”
To explore the options to travel by bus visit:
External links to bus operators
The following operators have more information about service changes on their websites:
- Arriva – https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/
- Carousel Buses – https://www.carouselbuses.co.uk/
- Courtney Buses - https://www.courtneybuses.com/services
- Faringdon Community Bus - http://www.faringdoncommunitybus.co.uk/
- First and last mile - https://www.firstandlastmile.org.uk/
- Going Forward Buses – https://www.goingforwardbuses.com/
- Grayline - https://grayline.co.uk/route_E1.html
- Our Bus Bartons - https://ourbusbartons-org-uk.stackstaging.com/
- Oxford Bus Company – https://city.oxfordbus.co.uk/
- Pulhams Coaches - https://www.pulhamscoaches.com/
- Reading Buses – https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/
- Redline Buses – https://www.redlinebuses.com/
- Red Rose Travel - https://www.redrosetravel.com/index.php?route=extension/module/journey_planner/routes
- Stagecoach East (X5 service) - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/
- Stagecoach Oxfordshire - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/about/oxfordshire
- Thames Travel - https://www.thames-travel.co.uk/
- The Villager - http://www.villagerbus.co.uk/
- West Oxfordshire Community Transport – https://www.woct.org.uk/
- Whites Coaches - http://www.whitescoaches.com/about_us.htm
- Z&S Transport – https://www.zandstransport.co.uk/
Bus tender results
Details of the bus service tenders undertaken by us in 2020 and 2021.