Are you looking for something really rewarding this summer? Join our 'Space Chase' Summer Reading Challenge volunteers.
You will be talking to children, their parents and carers and encouraging them to keep reading during the summer. Gain excellent volunteering experience as you record children’s progress, hand out rewards and help them with fun activities in an Oxfordshire library near you during the summer holidays.
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national scheme organised by theto encourage children to continue to read and visit libraries during the school holidays.
- to support library staff in the delivery of the Summer Reading Challenge.
- to encourage children, their families and carers to read for enjoyment.
- to promote literacy skills in children.
- to encourage a habit of using the library.
- promoting the challenge by talking to children, their parents and carers and explaining how it works.
- talking to children about the books they have read and helping them to choose others (if requested).
- registering children, recording their progress and handing out rewards
- helping with activities, promotional events and craft sessions.
Skills and abilities needed
- to enjoy working with people, especially with children, their parents and carers
- to be enthusiastic about reading and be able to enthuse others
- to be able to work in a team with library staff and other volunteers
- to have good communication skills and be a good listener
- to have some knowledge of children’s literature (desirable not essential)
- to be committed and punctual
You need to be aged between 13 and 24 years old. If you are older but would like to volunteer, please apply to the relevant branch as an ‘Event Helper’ and state in your application you would like to assist with Summer Reading Challenge events.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please fill in the online application form. Select the library you would like to apply to: