Who to notify about a death

Organisations you may need to notify when someone dies - and how the 'Tell Us Once' scheme can help.

When someone dies you may have to contact a wide variety of organisations to inform them of the death. Contacting council and government departments can be a time consuming and stressful job for relatives at a difficult time.

A free service called Tell Us Once aims to make things easier by allowing family to pass on the information to us just once - and we will tell government and council services on your behalf.

How the 'Tell Us Once' scheme works

When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Several other organisations may also have to be contacted.  We offer a service to give the information to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). They then pass it on to a number of other government departments and council services.

The Tell Us Once service will normally be carried out when you attend to register a death.

You can also complete it online afterwards using a reference number  issued at the time you register a death. The Registrar will explain how to do this.

The scheme is not compulsory and you can choose to opt out.

For more information please visit the tell us once website.

What you will need to bring with you

When registering a death, you’ll need to bring the following:

  • Medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor) unless the Coroner is issuing paperwork
  • National Insurance number of the deceased and their surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Any useful central government/local authority benefit/entitlement Information
  • If notifying Passport Services please bring passport (if still in date)
  • If notifying DVLA please bring driving licence (if still in date)
  • Blue Badge
  • Concessionary fares (bus pass)

We may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • the person dealing with their estate.

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above, if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Next of kin

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf. Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up-to-date information.

Your information

We will only use the information you provide us with to inform government services so that entitlements, benefits and information held about the deceased and surviving relatives is correct. It will not be used for any other purpose.

You may also need to contact...

  • Bank or building society
  • Car insurance - if the deceased was the main driver, your policy may no longer cover you or your car
  • Child's school, or childcare provider
  • Credit card companies
  • Dentist
  • Doctors
  • Employers
  • European health insurance card
  • Hospital clinics
  • Household insurance
  • Internet provider
  • Landlord / Housing Association
  • Life assurance
  • Local Co-operative Share Dividend Office
  • Mortgage provider
  • Motoring breakdown policy
  • Motoring insurance
  • Pension plans
  • Premium Bond Office/National Savings and Investments
  • Private healthcare provider
  • Solicitor
  • Utilities (gas, electricity, water, telephone)