Armed forces’ spouses may not be deployed or have the same direct impacts however, we recognise being a spouse of someone in the armed forces can present unique challenges. We help and support those with a spouse in the services (including reservists) through our flexible and agile working arrangements.
Our offer to military spouses in addition to other benefits
- A flexible working policy and leave policy to support with leave around deployments/mobilisations. Our Flexible Working Scheme offers every employee the opportunity to formally request permanent or temporary changes to their contracted hours or patterns or working. This may mean altering days and/or times they work to achieve a desired work-life balance or to fulfil caring responsibilities; it might also be a request to work from home on specific days.
- Management support in preparation for, during and after mobilisation
- A Buddy system with an option to buddy with a member of staff with armed forces experience
- Informal staff network of armed forces
- Armed Forces Service Champions to represent the views of armed forces employees
- Working for Oxfordshire
Further sources of information and advice
NHS mental health support for veterans, service leavers and reservists including Op COURAGE
Veterans Gateway provide support to spouses of service personnel to help them get back to into the work place, particularly after time out of employment after a long time out of work due to the nature of life of a military spouse
Smart Works The service at Smart Works Reading is open to anyone who identifies as a woman in the Thames Valley area who has a confirmed job interview for a paid position, apprenticeship, internship or voluntary work. They provide coaching and dressing advice for job interviews.
SSAFA Support for military families.
Forces Compare - Information on help and support services for Oxfordshire’s armed forces community is available through a free app called ‘Forces Connect’. The app signposts serving personnel, reservists, veterans and their families as well as frontline public services staff to services that can help and support according to the issues. To download the app, search “Forces Connect” in Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store
Royal British Legion provides support to Armed Forces Families.