Scaffolding and hoarding licences | Oxfordshire County Council

Scaffolding and hoarding licences

How to apply for a licence to erect scaffolding or hoarding on the highway.

You need to apply to us for permission when you need to erect scaffolding, staging, hoarding or fencing to secure a building site. The licence below also includes the use access machinery, such as cranes and cherry pickers on the highway in relation to building work.

If permission is granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept too:

Scaffold company registration

Please email or fax a completed Company registration form together with a signed copy of the conditions for the erection of scaffolding and hoardings on a Public Highway and a copy of your ten million pounds sterling Public Liability Insurance to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

First, you need to register with the Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

How to apply

You must apply at least seven working days before your start date.

Step one

First you must complete the licence application form (doc format, 98Kb). To make the supporting fee payment please use one of the following links and upload your application and public liability insurance document when prompted

Step two

If your company has not previously registered with this team, please ensure you also submit necessary registration forms (as above):

Apply by post or email

Please download licence application form (doc format, 98Kb) and send it to us.

Cheques should be made payable to Oxfordshire County Council.


Fees from 1 April 2017

  • Scaffolding - £125 for one month, renewal £110 per month
  • Hoarding - £125 for one month, renewal £110 per month
  • Tower scaffold - £100 for two days, renewal £100 for two days
  • Cherry picker - £100 for two days, renewal £100 for two days
  • Scissor lift - £100 for two days, renewal £100 for two days
  • Storage on the highway - £70 for each calendar month
  • Crane - £300 for one day


We aim to process your application within seven working days and will then inform you of our decision.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Contact details

You can direct any questions regarding procedures or licences to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

Last reviewed
21 November 2017
PrintPrint Short linkShort link to this pageGive us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback