Scaffolding and hoarding licences

How to apply for a licence to erect scaffolding or hoarding on the highway.

You need to apply to us for permission when you need to erect scaffolding, staging, hoarding or fencing to secure a building site. The licence below also includes the use access machinery, such as cranes and cherry pickers on the highway in relation to building work.

If permission is granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept to:

Scaffold company registration

Please email or fax a completed Company registration form together with a signed copy of the conditions for the erection of scaffolding and hoardings on a Public Highway and a copy of your ten million pounds sterling Public Liability Insurance to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

First, you need to register with the Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.


  • Scaffolding - £100 for one month, renewal £80 per month
  • Hoarding - £100 for one month, renewal £80 per month
  • Tower scaffold - £70 for two days, renewal £70 for two days
  • Cherry picker - £70 for two days, renewal £70 for two days
  • Scissor lift - £70 for two days, renewal £70 for two days.
  • Storage on the highway - £52 for each calendar month.
  • Crane - £175 for one day.


We aim to process your application within seven working days and will then inform you of our decision.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

How to apply

You must apply at least seven working days before your start date.

Apply by post or email

Please download the application form below and send it to us.

Cheques should be made payable to Oxfordshire County Council.

Apply online using the Business Link gateway

You can apply online using the 'Occupation of road in connection with building works' form, and selecting the relevant options on page four:

Contact details

You can direct any questions regarding procedures or licences to our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

Last reviewed
05 March 2014

Related pages

No related pages listed
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback