Free early education for 2 year olds | Oxfordshire County Council

Free early education for 2 year olds

Some 2 year olds are eligible for 15 hours free early education funding

Image of man and child playing provided by 4Children and the photographer Gary Manhine

The government will fund the cost of some early education for 3 and 4 year olds. More details on our early education page.

Eligibility criteria

Two-year-olds are eligible for 15 hours of free early years under two different criteria.


If a parent(s) claim one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit - for places starting in the summer term of 2018 (on or after 1 April 2018) if a parent is entitled to Universal Credit they must have an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400, assessed on up to three of the parent’s most recent Universal Credit assessment periods
  • tax credits and they have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)


  • the child has a statement of special educational needs
  • the child has a Education, Health and Care plan or attracts Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • the child is currently in the care of the local authority (Looked After Children) or has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order.

How to apply

For economic criteria - you will need your national insurance number.

For non-economic criteria you will need to supply evidence that supports your application.

What happens next?

After you apply and if you are entitled you will receive a code to take to an approved provider. You also need to take your child's birth certificate and proof of address.

When can my child start?

Eligible children are able to start the term after their second birthday.

Born between: Can start from: When can I apply?
1 January to 31 March (inclusive) The start of the summer funding period (April) following their 2nd birthday, until they access Free Entitlement 3 and 4 year olds  January
1 April to 31 August (inclusive) The start of the autumn funding period (September) following their 2nd birthday, until they access  Free Entitlement 3 and 4 year olds  April
1 September to 31 December (inclusive) The start of the spring funded period (January) following their 2nd birthday, until they access  Free Entitlement 3 and 4 year olds  September

The two year old funding voucher will tell you the earliest date that your child can start their funded place.

Finding a place

Not all providers are registered or eligible to take funded two year olds. Enter a postcode or place name to find providers near you.

Search for providers

Enter a postcode or the name of the place where you live:

Enter a postcode or place name:


If you've been unable to find a childcare place, the Family Information Service may be able to help. 

Common questions and answers

Will there be any additional costs?

Your 15 hours of early education is completely free.

  • No charge for enrolling your child
  • No deposits
  • No fees

However if you want your child to attend more than 15 hours per week you can pay for extra hours at some providers.

How long does a funded two year old place last?

Until your child reaches the term after their third birthday when they become eligible for universal free nursery education for 3 and 4 year olds

Does my child need to take all the hours to start with?

No, you can begin by taking a few hours each week and build up the amount of hours, to no more than 15 a week, if the childcare provider is able to accommodate. However, you will need to stick to the same number of hours each week over one term.

Can my child have a place all year round?

This depends on the provider. Some may offer you the option to 'stretch' your child's free hours over more than 38 weeks i.e. fewer hours over more weeks. Talk to your provider about this.

What if my finances change?

Once eligibility has been confirmed, your child will remain eligible for the funding until the term after they turn three.

Do I need to print the Two Year Old Funding voucher?

No, the childcare provider simply needs to know your reference number. 

I believe that I am eligible for the funding but the system says that I have been unsuccessful. What can I do?

If you have recently begun claiming an eligible benefit, it sometimes takes a little while for the system to update. You can submit an application again but do not re-apply once you have received a code.

What happens if my child does not attend the childcare provider?

You should let the provider know of non-attendance. If attendance is irregular without any valid reason, you will be supported in the first instance but if the place is not being reasonably fully used then it may be offered to someone else.

Can my child attend a childcare provider outside Oxfordshire?

Yes. However as we can only fund providers in Oxfordshire you would need to apply to the relevant Council.

Can I split the funding between two settings?

You may split it if providers agree although it is generally better for a child if they attend just one setting.  Schools and academies nurseries would expect a child to attend for the full 15 hours.

How many hours may my child have in one day?

Your child can have a funded place for between 2.5 hours and 6 hours per day.

Information for providers on the scheme

Last reviewed
19 February 2018
PrintPrint Short linkShort link to this pageGive us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback