Oxfordshire County Council logo

Storage of explosives licence

How to apply for a licence to store explosives, including fireworks.

Please note that in addition to a storage licence (as described on this page), any person intending to supply fireworks or expose for supply fireworks all year round also requires a fireworks licence.

Most consumer fireworks, shotgun ammunition, marine distress flares etc are Hazard Type 4 explosives. The hazard type of an explosive will be listed on manufacturer's or supplier's information. If you are in any doubt consult your supplier.

Who needs to apply for a licence for storage

If you wish to store up to a maximum of 2000kg of any Hazard Type, then you need to apply to us for a licence (see below for details).

Storage of over 2000kg

To store quantities in excess of 2000kg of any Hazard Type you will have to apply to the Health and Safety Executive.

Police certificates

If any of the explosives you wish to store require a Police Certificate under the Control of Explosives Regulations, you will have to apply to Thames Valley Police 0845 505505 (Firearms and Licensing Section) for registration or a licence.


Every person who stores explosives must ensure that the relevant separation distance is maintained.

Licences are determined according to the distance to storage. Find out more about distances on the Health and Safety Executive website.

Fees for the licences we issue are:

  • fireworks licence with no separation distance: £111
  • renewal of licence with no separation distance: £55 *
  • firework licence with separation distance greater than zero: £189
  • renewal of licence with separation distance greater than zero: £88 *

* A renewal can only be issued where the periods covered are continuous.

Fees are set by the Health and Safety Fees Regulations and are subject to review.

How to apply

Download and complete this application form (pdf format, 89 KB) and send it, with your fee, to:

Trading Standards Service
Oxfordshire County Council
Electric Avenue
Ferry Hinksey Road

All cheques should be made payable to ‘Oxfordshire County Council’

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.