Oxfordshire County Council logo

Oversailing licence

How to apply for a licence for structures projecting over the highway.

COVID-19 update

Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, the council offices are closed.

Applications can only be made electronically to licensingteam@oxfordshire.gov.uk

Payment of the application fee, can either be made via the GOV.UK website, or alternatively by a bank transfer (account details below).

Oversailing licences relate to any permanent or temporary structure which spans the public highway. This includes windows, advertising boards, shop signs or banners as well as cranes whose jib extends across the highway. Application is made under Highways Act 1980, Section 177.

New fees

The fee is £435 per licence.

There will be a £685 fine plus £51 per hour enforcement rate for non-compliance of the terms and conditions of the licence.


You can expect your licence to be processed within one calendar month.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply

Or you can print out and complete an oversailing application form (pdf format,  67Kb), and email it to licensingteam@oxfordshire.gov.uk, accompanied by:

  • four detailed scale drawings relating to this application
  • a copy of the relevant planning application.
  • Bank transfer to our team account (quoting first line of address as reference)

Account name - OCC Licensing & Streetworks DCI
Sort code - 30-80-12
Acount number - 15190568

Licensing and Streetworks Team
Ron Groves House
23 Oxford Road

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions should be directed to them.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.