Extra care housing
Housing support for people with care needs who want to remain independent.
What is extra care housing?
This could be for you if you have care needs, are over 55 but still want to remain independent.
It’s not a residential care home. You’ll live in a modern, purpose-built, comfortable home (a one or two-bedroomed flat) where flexible care and support are available onsite 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for affordable rented extra care housing if you or your partner have been assessed as eligible for care from us and you are on your local housing register.
Most schemes can be flexible and will consider people with a learning disability or other disabilities who may not have reached 55 years but who have care and support needs.
How long will the service last?
There is no time limit.
Who carries out this service?
Our adult social care team delivers this service with a network of specialist schemes providing housing and care daily.
The schemes delivering this service are below:
- Orchard Meadows, Prescott Close, Banbury OX16 0RD. 40 one and two-bedroom flats set in their own grounds at the end of a peaceful residential cul de sac.
- Stanbridge House, Ruskin Road, Banbury OX16 9FZ. A scheme of 70 flats in the Easington area of the town. The town centre is a bus ride away, with good local amenities.
- Park Gardens, Bath Road, Banbury OX16 9HQ. Opened in 2019, this scheme has 78 flats, with 50% being for market sale.
- Centurion House, Coach House Mews, Bicester OX26 6EW. Opened in June 2012, Centurion House is situated in a peaceful cul de sac, close to the centre of the bustling market town of Bicester and the famous Bicester Village outlet centre. There are 20 flats for rent and shared ownership.
- Moorside Place, The Moors, Kidlington, OX5 2UZ. A scheme of 54 flats near shops and facilities in Kidlington, only 5 miles from Oxford.
- Erdington House, Cresswell Close, Yarnton, OX5 1FZ. Set in a quiet residential area in the village of Yarnton, west of Oxford, this scheme has 50 flats.
- Isis Court, Cornwallis Road, Donnington, Oxfordshire, OX4 3NH. Next to the village of Iffley and the river Thames, this scheme has 20 flats.
- Greater Leys, Frys Court, 2 Nightingale Avenue, Oxford, OX4 7WJT and Potters Court, Robin Place, Oxford, OX4 7FF. This larger scheme consists of Frys Court with 33 flats and Potters Court with 36 flats. There are also 87 dispersed flats.
- Shotover View, Craufurd Road, Horspath, Oxford, OX42SQ. A scheme of 55 flats in the south of Oxford.
South Oxfordshire district
- Towse Court, Icknield Place, Goring, Reading, RG80DN. A scheme of 40 flats in Goring-on-Thames, a thriving village community near Reading with a wide range of local facilities.
- Windmill Place, Corbetts Way, Thame, OX9 2DR. A scheme of 40 flats in the market town of Thame east of Oxford.
- Millcroft, 4-44 Millcroft, Tumim Court, Wallingford, OX10 9FY. A scheme of 40 flats in the market town of Wallingford.
Vale of White Horse district
- Nicholson House, Gainsborough Green, Turner Road, Abingdon, OX14 5TT. A scheme of 61 flats in the town of Abingdon, south of Oxford.
- Mayott House, Ock Street, Abingdon, OX145DH. A scheme of 40 flats close to all amenities in Abingdon.
- Petypher House, Kingston Bagpuize, Abingdon, OX135FR. A smaller scheme of 26 flats in the village of Kingston Bagpuize near Abingdon, very close to the A420 Oxford to Swindon road.
- Poppy Meadows, 33 Greenwood Way, Harwell, Didcot, OX11 6JX, a scheme of 80 flats close to Didcot.
West Oxfordshire district
- Fernleigh Court, Buttercross Lane, Witney, OX284DZ. This scheme of 80 flats is situated close to the attractive town centre of Witney.
- The Paddocks, Shipton Road, Milton-Under-Wychwood, Chipping Norton, OX7 6GF. A scheme of 44 flats in the village of Milton under Wychwood near Chipping Norton.
- Willow Gardens, Russell Way, Chipping Norton, OX7 5FX. A scheme of 80 flats situated in the market town of Chipping Norton.
We have ambitious plans to develop new extra care housing to meet the county's future needs of older people. Download the Extra Care Housing Supplement (pdf format, 399Kb). This gives details of the demand for extra care housing and where we expect it to be developed.
How much does it cost?
Most extra care flats are for rent at an affordable level. Some are available as shared ownership (part buy, part rent). In some schemes, there are also flats for sale. If you are already a social housing tenant, you are likely to be eligible to rent an affordable extra care flat. If you’re not sure if you qualify, contact your district council.
- Cherwell District Council
- Oxford City Council
- South Oxfordshire District Council
- Vale of White Horse District Council
- West Oxfordshire District Council
How to get the support
To get a care assessment contact us on 01865 792422 and choose the Adult Social Care option. If you already have a social worker, occupational therapist or another support worker, they should be able to advise you on your options.