Many collections and holdings can be searched online. Full details of these are in the catalogues' section of our Digital resources for Oxfordshire history website
Archives and Local Studies catalogues
Local Studies holdings can also be searched on SOLO, the catalogue of the University of Oxford libraries.
Browse a list of the major archive collections in our online catalogue (pdf format, 1Mb)
Some earlier catalogues are accessible only as card indexes in our searchroom. To consult these, you will have to visit Oxfordshire History Centre.
Many of our archives and Local Studies holdings can be searched by keyword through Heritage Search, the online catalogue for document and publications at Oxfordshire History Centre. It can also be used to search for objects held by Oxfordshire Museums Service.
Photographic and Oral History catalogues
Our Photographic and Oral History collections can be searched by keyword or collection name through Picture Oxon, which contains:
- 300,000 image catalogue records
- 5,000 sound recording catalogue records
- 100,000 digital images
Visit the Picture Oxon website to search the photographic and oral history catalogues.
Many earlier catalogues are available only as card indexes. To consult these, you will have to visit Oxfordshire History Centre.
Catalogues not yet on Heritage Search
A broad overview of collections which is not searchable via our Heritage Search online catalogue:
- Quarter Sessions: bundles of papers of administrative and criminal business, 1687-1830 and 1850-1971
- Coroner’s inquest papers
- Diocese of Oxford: a catalogue of this collection is available through the National Archives' Discovery website
- Parish records: the 10% of the catalogues not Heritage Search are accessible in pdf form via the Digital resources for Oxfordshire history website
- Deposited records from individuals, organisations, estates, businesses, organisations and families: some are still only accessible on cards, but increasingly these are being made available on Discovery.
Books and pamphlets
Oxfordshire County, Oxford City and University books are mostly listed on Heritage Search, but only a minority of periodicals is included.
A separate list of trade and street directories is available.
Ordnance Survey maps
Interactive digital OS mapping (historic and current) is available in the Oxfordshire History Centre’s public search room.
Paper editions are not catalogued on Heritage Search, but holdings lists of County Series and National Grid plans are available in Oxfordshire History Centre’s public search room.
Other historic printed maps
Most are listed on the Picture Oxon website. Choose ‘Historic Maps’ from the Collections dropdown list.
Guided access to a selection of historic printed maps is available through the Maps section of our Digital resources for Oxfordshire history website
District valuation records
District valuation maps and survey books dating from 1910 are available to search on our District valuation page.
Not catalogued on Heritage Search, but this holdings list of our newspaper collections (microform and digital) is available separately.