Whether you are a beginner and want to learn a new language, develop much further, or just have a bit of fun by trying something different – we have a great range of audio and online learning courses, books and conversation groups to help you enjoy success with your chosen language.
- Language CDs & Language Packs (CDs with a book) can be borrowed for three weeks and there will be a hire charge for this time.
- Language textbooks and dictionaries
- Books in foreign languages.
- Dual language children’s books.
Search all our language books and packs on the library catalogue from home or in the library. You can filter your search by Language.
From our digital library service:
- Oxford Dictionaries with two-way translations.
- Press Reader Catch up with 1000s of digital magazines and newspapers from all over the world, in over 60 languages
- ‘Tense Buster’ Grammar e-learning course from Clarity English. Keep track of your progress and build your confidence in vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation.
Language Café in libraries
Language Café is run by Oxfordshire Libraries and is a safe space for you to talk in English and other languages. It is a place to meet others, ‘swap’ languages and practise speaking and listening in other languages. Here, we share stories and words from different countries and cultures and include everyone in learning. The session is led by library staff to maintain a happy learning environment for all.
These sessions are free – and open to all adults over 18 years old.
- Abingdon Library - Tuesday 10am-12pm.
- Kennington Library - Every third Wednesday of the month 10.30am – 11.30am
- Henley Library – Thursday 2pm-3pm.
- Oxford Westgate Library - Wednesday 6pm-7pm.
- Summertown Library - Saturday 12 noon - 1.30pm.
Current sessions might be subject to change – please contact the library before you arrive.