Adaptations to homes

Installation of rails to major alterations such as a bathroom extension or stairlift may help you.

If you are having difficulties managing within your home, you may think about whether it is possible to make changes to your property.

Applying for adaptations

An occupational therapist will visit you at home to make an assessment of your needs. Following the assessment she or he will discuss with you the options for meeting your needs. These may include advice about equipment which may solve your difficulties without alterations to your property or alternative accommodation.

The occupational therapist may recommend adaptations to your home. These can range from minor works such as rails or a ramp to major alterations such as a bathroom extension or stair lift.

If you wish to refer yourself or someone else for assessment or have a general enquiry, please complete our online form or contact Social and Health Care.

Help that is available

If you are permanently and substantially disabled you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) or other types of grant to adapt your home.

This is explained more fully on the government website or ask for a copy of the government's leaflet on Disabled Facilities Grant from your local district council (see contact details right). Your district council will be able to give you more information about the grant.

The grant is administered by your local district or city council and is subject to a financial assessment by them. This means you may have to pay something towards the cost of the work. If you rent your property from the council or a housing association they may directly fund work to adapt your home. If not you can still apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

If you can't afford your assessed contribution

Other sources of funding may be available. Discuss this with your occupational therapist.

Equipment you can borrow

If you have problems bathing, washing, or dressing due to a long-term condition, we have a range of equipment you can borrow free of charge.

Buying equipment

Occupational therapists can tell you about the range of equipment you can buy, and give you details of different suppliers.

Pendant alarms and sensors

Telecare is a service which promotes independence, improves safety at home and provides reassurance for carers.

If you wish to be assessed for this service or ask for more information, you can request an assessment or contact Social and Health Care.

More information and advice

There are a range of resources available to help you take control of your own care. To find other local services near to you visit our Live Well Oxfordshire directory.