Specialist housing

Options for people who find it difficult to cope at home.

These may include:

  • a more suitable house
  • adapted housing
  • housing with support
  • sheltered housing
  • extra care housing.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered and retirement housing is provided by housing associations and some district councils.

Sheltered housing, which is mostly available for rent only, is a practical step if you would like more security and companionship and, for some, additional help and support.

Applications for sheltered housing can be made to the local district council housing department.

Care needs

If you or someone you know needs help with personal care (tasks such as washing, dressing, eating or going to the toilet), as well as specialist or adapted housing you can ask us to complete an assessment of those care needs.

If you have a general enquiry or want information on other services, you can complete this online general enquiry form or contact Social and Health Care.