What extra care housing is
Extra care housing is ideal if you are over 55 and have some support needs but want to remain independent.
It’s not a residential care home. You’ll live in a modern, purpose-built, comfortable home (a one or two-bedroomed flat) where flexible care and support is available onsite 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Most extra care flats are for rent at an affordable level. Some are available as shared ownership (part buy, part rent). In some schemes there are also flats for sale. If you are already a social housing tenant you are likely to be eligible to rent an affordable extra care flat.
Although extra care housing is designed with older people in mind, most schemes can be flexible and will consider people with a learning disability or other disability who may not have reached 55 years but who have care and support needs.
What are the benefits of extra care housing?
- the confidence of knowing you have 24-hour care onsite
- independence and privacy (your own front door) but with the option to socialise with other residents
- lift access to all floors
- landscaped communal gardens
- comfortable communal lounge
- usually a hairdressing salon and a restaurant onsite
- shops and other services close by
- events and activities to help keep your mind and body healthy.