Make an application to secondary school
Parents of children born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 (inclusive) need to apply for a secondary school place for September 2023.
From 6 September 2022, you can apply online for a secondary school place.
The deadline for receipt of secondary school applications is 31 October 2022.
However, if your late application is received no later than 14 November 2022 with extenuating reasons for missing the 31 October deadline provided, a panel may consider that the application should be considered on time. Any applications received after 14 November will be considered late as a matter of course.
Late applications or preference changes received by 15 March 2023 will be processed for the second allocation round which will be completed on 5 May 2023.
Applications can still be made online.
To apply online you will need:
- an internet-enabled device (e.g. laptop, desktop computer, tablet or mobile phone).
- an email address that you can access, so that you can receive email updates from the Portal including the 8-digit secure code to complete login.
- to have read our page about online school applications before you start or if you have any problems
- the names of the schools you are requesting for your child (in preference order) – we strongly recommend that you use all four preferences.
If you are unable to apply online
You can request a paper application form from a school or the School Admissions Team.
National offer day
If you applied by 31 October 2022, we will contact you by email on 1 March 2023 with the outcome of your application.
We will only send letters where:
- an application has been submitted on paper
- an applicant is eligible for free home-to-school transport
- an applicant has not secured a place at their first preference school
Letters, where required, will be sent by second-class post on 1 March 2023.
Responding to an offer
If you applied online, you will be able to respond to the offer online instead of returning a paper form.
For those who are sent letters, a response form will be enclosed with your letter. If you cannot respond online, scan or photograph the completed form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can return it in the post to:
School Admissions Team
The deadline for receipt of completed response forms is 15 March 2023.
Important things to remember when applying
- It is the responsibility of parents/carers to apply for a school place.
- Apply on time. The deadline is 31 October 2022.
- You can list four different schools in order of preference. We strongly advise you to use all four preferences.
- We strongly advise you to request your catchment (or local) school as one of your preferences.
- If your application is late, it will be processed later in the year. Your child is far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools with a late application.
- Consider how your child will travel to school.
For further advice on the secondary school application process, download the booklet below.