Planned capital works
We have a planned programme of works that are carried out every year to fix issues on the highway network. This work relates to different asset types such as roads, streetlighting, bridges, footways and cycleways. The current programme for 2020/21 along with a proposed programme for 2021/22 is shown in the document below, along with the current approved budget splits for 2020-25.
- Highway Capital Programme 2020-22 (pdf format, 463Kb)
- Current Highway Capital Budget Splits 2020-25 (pdf format, 383Kb)
Looking after our roads
Our highways are maintained and repairs identified either through public reports or during our routine inspections. We investigate these reports using the council’s intervention policy and professional judgement.
We are currently managing a considerable number of enquiries and ordering a significant number of repairs. We are working with our contractor Skanska to ensure that repairs are made and to make more resources available.
Different methods to improve repairs are also being explored. These are:
- sealing around edges
- undertaking more saw-cut repairs (not just on A and B roads)
- using smaller aggregate
- patching when many potholes are in the same area, rather than filling individually
- enabling Skanska to fix nearby potholes even if not ordered.
Routine inspection frequencies
The routine inspection frequencies and methods used are detailed in the Highways Inspection Safety Policy.
Reporting a problem
You can report any defect found with the highways at any time using Fix My Street.