Fostering - Supported lodgings

Support for young people 16-25 years of age

What are supported lodgings?

Supported lodgings are for young people living in the county aged 16-25 years old who are unable to live with their families for various reasons. These young people will still need additional practical and emotional support to develop their independent living skills and to make a successful transition to adulthood with additional support.  Without this support they may be disadvantaged in terms of education, employment, poorer health and, in some circumstances, housing. 

Supported lodgings aims to offer young people stability during this transitional period and additional support so that they can gain essential independent living skills to become a responsible adult and enjoy rewarding lives.

How do supported lodgings work?

Supported lodgings are where a young person lives with a host who also offers up to 10 hours of support per week. This would include things such as money management, time management and attending meetings along with daily living skills to promote confidence.

The host would need to be able to offer the young person a room of their own, provide guidance and demonstrate practical skills to enable independence.

The host would not have parental responsibility. Their role is to support the young person with positive progress and raise any concerns with a social worker.

What's involved?

The host would have been assessed by the local authority. The host will receive on-going support from their social worker and the young person will also have an allocated worker who they meet with on a regular basis.

A social worker will undertake an assessment which would include police checks, references and health and safety checks. Once the assessment process is completed approval would be made by the fostering panel.

Supported lodgings hosts receive a fee, regular support and training.

Could I apply to be a supported lodger?

You can apply if you:

  • live within Oxfordshire
  • have a spare bedroom
  • are a home owner or living in rented accommodation
  • live in the house and the young person can access a responsible adult at night
  • are from any ethnic or cultural background
  • are single or married
  • are a same sex couple
  • in or out of paid work or retired

What is the difference between supported lodgings and foster care?

The difference between being a foster carer and a supported lodgings host is that the supported lodgings host is empowering a young person to live independently. The expectation is that when the young person’s placement comes to an end the young person can live independently in the private/social housing sector.

What we are looking for

  • People who are able to work with social workers, professionals as part of a team
  • An ability to interact with young people fairly, honestly, openly and objectively
  • To participate in the assessment and statutory checks process
  • To complete an enhanced DBS
  • Able to attend appropriate training courses
  • Ability to promote equality and hold the belief that everyone has the right to equality regardless of gender, sex, age, disability, religion or culture
  • You will need to be empathetic and understand the problems and challenges faced by young people
  • Always respect the young person’s confidentiality and at the same time alert your social worker and other professionals of any concerns.

What is the process?

You will have an initial interview, then at the point of application an assessment will be completed which takes 8-12 weeks, subject to statutory clearance checks.  Oxfordshire County Council will require you to sign a contract which outlines the basic quality standards and regulations of the support services that you as a host will offer the young person.

As a host you will be expected to have public liability insurance included in your home insurance.

The young person will sign a licence agreement which lays out the rent agreement with the host.

What should I do if I want to find out more?

We want to hear from you - call 01865 323126 and ask to speak to the supported lodgings social worker or email