Useful websites for parents of children with SEN

Further websites to support parents

Information and advice

Education, skills and learning support - IPSEA - Independent Parental Special Education Advice, a charity which offers legal advice, support and training to ensure children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) access the right education. - Specialist provider of assessments for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) - National Association of Specialist Colleges provides information and training to meet the inclusive learning needs of students with learning difficulties/disabilities. - My life my choice - helping people speak up and develop their skills

Divorce - Oxfordshire Family Mediation-  information and advice for separated parents and support for children affected by family separation. All sessions are free. To arrange an informal meeting with a trained volunteer email

Information and support

Contact a Family (CaF) – are an excellent organisation providing information and support to parents of children with many different sorts of disability, including parent-parent support. They also provide comprehensive well written booklets written in a clear concise manner for parents, teachers and young people

Council for disabled children - Information, Advice and Support Services - IAS Services have a duty to provide information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents. They are statutory services and are free, impartial and confidential. A national charity offering information support and advice about parenting,including challenging behaviour , emotional wellbeing ,teenagers etc, details about specialist advice, parenting groups in your area.

Legal advice and representation for children and young people

Childrens Legal Centre – provides legal advice, information and representation for children and young people. - Civil Legal Advice (Legal Aid) - Free legal advice on education law matters paid for by legal aid. SEN, discrimination and judicial review (e.g. for children not receiving education/unlawful exclusions etc.) For anyone financially eligible to legal aid 

Support for parents - OXFSN – Oxfordshire Family Support Network - supporting and mentoring parents of people with learning disabilities.

SOS SEN - A national charity aiming to empower parents and carers of children and young people with SEN and disabilities to access the help they are entitled to, particularly in the education system.

Transition information - OXFSN – Oxfordshire Family Support Network- support through transition in Oxfordshire. - NATSPEC – National Association of Specialist Colleges provides information and training to meet the inclusive learning needs of students with learning difficulties/disabilities.
Transition Information Network  -supports young people with Learning Difficulties &/or Disabilities  to make a positive transition to adult life .It provides quality information on key issues such as further and higher education ,direct payments, social life and independence.


Music - Soundabout – information about special music making workshops for children, young people and adults with disabilities. - Speech and Language Services – Talking Point provides a guide to speech and language services and useful links to other associated websites.

Singing - Singing Hands – have produced a video with 25 songs for children who are learning signing before their speech has developed or have hearing or communication difficulties.

Sport - Multi Sport – developing sports activities for children and young people with Cerebral Palsy. - Special Olympics – provide training and the opportunity to compete locally and nationally in a variety of sporting activities for children and young people with a learning disability. Organising new activities where specialist sports activities do not exist.

Oxsrad - Integrated support and leisure centre. Recreational and leisure activities accessible to all. Members entitled to use facilities at a small cost. Gym, Sensory room, Trampolining Contact 01865 741336 or Includes a directory of Oxfordshire Disability and Inclusive Sport Directory

Personal issues for children and young people


Anti-bullying Alliance – gives useful information and advice about how to deal with bullying and the impact that bullying can have.

Bullying UK - offers on line advice and support to try to prevent or deal with bullying including information for children. - CaF have produced a guide for dealing with bullying.

Growing up

Family Planning Association - has books specifically for parents of children with disabilities, including workbooks about growing up.

Specific types of needs: additional support

Autism and Asperger's - Spreading awareness of autism . Frequent conferences and talks

Cambian Education - The largest provider of specialist residential education and care for young people with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome in UK.

Healthtalkonline – a useful website which can give you information about particular issues facing parents of children and young people with autism such as getting a diagnosis to dealing with puberty. Scroll to the end of the page to find links. - MY WORLD offers bespoke day opportunities for people aged 16 and above on the autistic spectrum. - The National Autistic Society give useful advice to parents of autistic children, including an online directory which will pull together information according to your child’s age diagnosis and where they live. - an Oxfordshire support group for parents of children with Autism and Asperger Syndrome hold monthly support meetings often with interesting speakers. - Thomley Hall Activity Centre - a specialist activity centre for children and young people with disabilities and their families, particularly those on the Autistic Spectrum. This safe resource has a program of activities both in and outdoors. See the website for details. - Autism Family Support Oxfordshire support the development and wellbeing of children and young adults on the autism spectrum, and their families

Bipolar disorder

Depression and mental health - Mental Health Foundation has on-line information about anxiety, depression, ADHD etc. - Young Minds – a national charity committed to improving the mental health of all children, advice about depression, eating disorders, and other mental health issues affecting children, see website for details.

Down's syndrome - Down's Syndrome Association - The aim of the DSA is to help people with Down’s syndrome to live full and rewarding lives. 


British Dyslexia Association - a useful website with information about dyslexia, assessment and identification, exam concessions etc. - Oxfordshire Dyslexia Association – information about meetings and lectures, identification and assessment of dyslexia including access to  an on-line assessment tool.


Dyspraxia Foundation - offers information and supports individuals and families affected by developmental dyspraxia through books, suggestions, a teen newsletter, and an adult support group.

Head injuries - Supporting head injured pupils in school - SHIPS supports pupils who have sustained a head injury, by observing the subtle differences in their way of learning due to the injury they have sustained, and advising teachers on appropriate ways of managing their learning.

Hearing - National Deaf Children’s Society – have an informative website including information about a new software reader for spoken text on the web. - Sense - Give advice and assistance to deaf blind individuals or their family members and supporters.

ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Oxfordshire ME Group for Action (Omega). OMEGA is the support group for people with ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and their carers. Members can benefit from contact with other people who recognise and understand the illness. Members give each other friendship and support, exchange information about treatments and learn from each other about the management of this long-term illness.

Sight - There are around two million people in the UK with sight problems and RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People) is the leading charity offering practical support, advice and information to anyone with a sight problem. Their pioneering work helps not just with braille, Talking Books and computer training, but with imaginative and practical solutions to everyday challenges. - Sense - Give advice and assistance to deaf blind individuals or their family members and supporters.

Sleep problems

Cerebra - help to support parents/carers with children who have sleep issues. They also have a stress helpline.

Speaking difficulties

Ace centre - Augmentative and Alternative Communication - find out more about the excellent and very specialised service provided to children and young people who have difficulty speaking, because of physical problems, from the base at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital in Oxford

Does our local offer information help you? Use this online form to let us know if you feel our web pages could be improved or you need help finding out about something.