Helpline for parents
Do you have concerns about your child's education or would like some help in approaching school or nursery? Would you like support at a meeting or to talk through what you want to say?
We are here to help you, whether you are wondering if your child has special educational needs, or already gets extra help at school, has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or is in special school.
You can contact us during term time, Monday - Friday (9.30am - 2.30pm) or leave a message and we'll get back to you, it may take five working days.
Virtual monthly SEN advice drop-in sessions
Our monthly ‘drop-ins’ usually take place at County Hall on the first Wednesday and the third Friday of the month. However, during the current time, we would like to offer you a personal 1-1 telephone meeting with one of our advisors instead.
To reserve a time slot (initially for half an hour), please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you to arrange an appointment.
We have various guides for parents, which you can download below.
- A Parents Guide to concerns about your child SEND support (pdf format, 321Kb)
- Permanent Exclusion (pdf format, 85Kb)
- How is my child doing at school? (pdf format, 93Kb)
- Choosing a school (pdf format, 142 Kb)
- Fixed Term Exclusions (pdf format, 103Kb)
- Getting the most out of meetings if your child has Special Educational Needs (pdf format, 209 Kb)
- SENDIASS - Parents guide (pdf format, 153Kb)
- SEN Support in mainstream schools (pdf format, 98Kb)
- SEN Support in Further Education Colleges (pdf format, 88Kb)
- A parents guide to outcomes (pdf format, 163Kb)
- A parents guide to Education Health and Care Needs assessment (EHCNa) (pdf format, 188Kb)
- A Parents Guide to Annual Review (pdf format, 256Kb)
- When your child has been permanently excluded - Guidance for parents, Step 1 (pdf format, 169Kb)
- When your child has been permanently excluded - Guidance for parents. Step 2 (pdf format, 222Kb)
- Considering EHE when your child has SEND (pdf format, 115Kb)
- Reviewing your child's draft EHCP (pdf format, 339Kb)
- How to find a special school appropriate for your child's SEND (pdf format, 163Kb)
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
SENDIASS policy documents
- Impartiality Policy (pdf format, 145Kb)
- Confidentiality code (pdf format, 270Kb)
- Complaints Policy (pdf format, 253Kb)
Help us improve our information
Does our local offer information help you? Use this online form to let us know if you feel our web pages could be improved or you need help finding out about something.