Benefits of working for Oxfordshire County Council
Jobs that make a real difference to people’s lives.
Working in local government has never been more interesting and challenging, offering talented people the opportunity to innovate, use their skills and expertise and make a real difference to the people of Oxfordshire.
People join and stay with the council because they are committed to public service, whether working in social care, libraries, schools, improving the county’s road and travel system or in one of a wide range of exciting areas
We recognise that our employees are central to everything we do. We are committed to creating positive jobs and work environments where people flourish, develop and have the opportunity to make a real difference in delivering high quality services.
- Various cycling options including a tax-saving bike purchase scheme
- Competitive rates of pay
- 24 - 32 days annual leave each year
- Flexible working arrangements
- Relocation expenses of up to £8,000 for eligible new starters
- Tailored induction
- Family friendly schemes to help balance family commitments including generous maternity, paternity and support for carers and a tax-saving childcare voucher scheme.
- Good career opportunities
- Excellent pension scheme, with employer contributions of up to 20 per cent of salary
- Staff Discount Scheme for a range of retailers; holidays; insurance; eating out; health and leisure activities and
- Discounts on rail and bus travel
- Continuing professional development - employees can develop their skills and knowledge
through our online training platform.
- Coaching, workshops, mentoring, shadowing and support from social groups
- Initiatives and a range of activities to support health and wellbeing including an Employee Assistance Programme, mindfulness and resilience training, yoga and music classes in some buildings and even a council choir for staff.
Finding a home in Oxfordshire - a guide for key workers
We know that care workers and other key workers can find it difficult to find affordable housing in the county. Finding a Home in Oxfordshire (pdf format, 1.4Mb) is a useful guide to your options. It includes information about how to access affordable rented housing through district councils and the help you may be able to get to find housing in the private rented sector.