Support for residents during COVID-19

Advice for vulnerable people and support with the costs of food and other household essentials

Support for clinically vulnerable people and self-isolating residents

If you have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable, you will no longer be advised to shield. However, you should continue to take extra precautions to protect yourself. It is important that you continue to keep the number of social interactions that you have low and try to limit the amount of time you spend in settings where you are unable to maintain social distancing. 

As with the wider population, the government is also advising the clinically extremely vulnerable to work from home wherever possible. Discuss any concerns you may have with your employer - they still have a duty of care to support you in working from home at this time.

District and City councils will still offer ongoing practical support and guidance and can help address any non-medical concerns. This can be done by contacting your district council directly.

If you registered with the national system as being clinically vulnerable, you will also still be able to benefit from supermarket booking prioritisation into the summer.

If you haven’t yet received your COVID-19 vaccination, you should contact your GP.

Find community support near you

Our self-isolation support information provides details on where and how to get support if you do have to self-isolate. Alternatively you can visit Oxfordshire All In or Oxford Hub (for Oxford residents) for more information on community support available near you.

NHS volunteer responders can support you with:

  • Collecting shopping, medication (if your friends and family cannot collect them for you) or other essential supplies.
  • A regular, friendly phone call which can be provided by different volunteers each time or by someone who is also shielding and will stay in contact for several weeks.
  • Transport to medical appointments.

Call 0808 1963646 - 8am - 8pm to arrange support, or speak to your health care professional for transport support.

Alternatively, you can visit either the Livewell website or the Family Information Service to find out about local support groups in your community. 

Income and employment support 

It is important that you continue to take careful precautions, and employers should do all they can to enable you to work from home where this is possible, including moving you to another role if required.   

Where this is not possible, those who are at risk should be provided with the safest onsite roles that enable them to maintain social distancing.

The government has produced guidance to help keep you safe during this period. 

Those on lower incomes who can't work from home and have lost income as a result will be supported by a Test and Trace support payment of £500. These payments will be administered by your district council.