Latest government advice
Information for parents and carers on closures
- While schools have their arrangements to contact parents and carers, this list of school closures is regularly updated to provide details on reported closures.
- Early year providers - regularly updated with those that are open
- Out of school childcare - regularly updated with availability
- If you’re having difficulty finding a suitable place contact FIS
Additional resources for parents and carers
- Getting ready for school - advice for parents
- Resources for SEND families
- For advice regarding free school meal national vouchers, contact your child’s school or visit GOV.UK
A government helpline is available to answer education-related coronavirus questions:
- Call: 0800 046 8687
- Open: 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm at weekends
- Government online education resources for schools and parents to help children learn at home.
- BBC Bitesize has daily lessons and resources as well as advice and tips on schooling at home.
- There are lots of free resources in our online library - from reference books, Britannica Online and dictionaries to help support your study needs
- You can use BBC Teach for free. It's home to thousands of free curriculum-mapped videos, arranged by age-group and subject.
- CBeebies helps pre-schoolers learn whilst they play fun games, watch clips, sing songs and make things with their favourite CBeebies characters and shows.
Talking to children
Finding it hard to explain the facts about coronavirus and social distancing?
- The NHS, in collaboration with Alder Hey Children's Hospital, have put together this handy guide (pdf format 3Mb) explaining all about the virus.
- Free information book explaining coronavirus to children, from Gruffalo Illustrator, Axel Sheffler.
- The Oxfordshire Safeguarding Children's Board has produced a useful information sheet for children and teenagers.
Information for schools, early years and childminders
- The latest guidance for education settings is available on GOV.UK.
- Latest Department of Education guidance and updates for schools
- Guidance for meeting the needs of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) is available from the government.
- Advice for Ofsted-registered childcare provider, including childminders, nurseries and wraparound childcare and clubs (before-and after-school and holiday care).
- Information and advice for early years and childcare providers
- What is school readiness?
The Department for Education has published Guidance for full opening: schools, recommending Public Health England’s free infection prevention education resource e-Bug.