Information for parents
Advice for parents on school and childcare places, school closures and home schooling
Schools, childcare and early years
From 1 June schools will begin to open for some year groups in a phased manner. Details are available from individual schools and will vary. Many early care and childcare settings will also start to reopen.
Key worker school places
- The list of schools are unable to provide places for a key worker child or vulnerable child is regularly updated.
- If you need help to find a school place for a key worker child or vulnerable child, email email@example.com
Early year providers
- The list of early year providers that are open and providing places for a key worker child is regularly updated.
- If you’re having difficulty finding a suitable place, call 01865 323332 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Resources for SEND families during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- The latest guidance for education settings is available on Gov UK.
- Government guidance about school closures
- Information about the cancellation of GCSEs, AS and A Levels
- For advice regarding ‘free school meal’ national vouchers, contact your child’s school or visit the Free school meal national vouchers advice page on the government website
- Government helpline to answer education-related questions about COVID-19
- Call: 0800 046 8687
- Email: DfE.email@example.com
- Open: 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm at weekends
- Government online education resources for schools and parents to help children learn at home.
- BBC Bitesize has daily lessons and resources as well as advice and tips on schooling at home.
- There are lots of free resources in our online library - from reference books, Britannica Online and dictionaries to help support your study needs
- You can use BBC Teach for free. It's home to thousands of free curriculum-mapped videos, arranged by age-group and subject.
- CBeebies helps pre-schoolers learn whilst they play fun games, watch clips, sing songs and make things with their favourite CBeebies characters and shows.
Talking to children
Finding it hard to explain the facts about COVID-19 and social distancing?
- The NHS, in collaboration with Alder Hey Children's Hospital, have put together this handy guide (pdf format) explaining all about the virus.
- Free information book explaining coronavirus to children, from Gruffalo Illustrator, Axel Sheffler.
- The Oxfordshire Safeguarding Children's Board has produced a useful information sheet for children and teenagers.