Download the Code of Corporate Governance (pdf format, 120 KB).
About the code
The code sets out the principles of corporate governance that will reflect what we commit ourselves to do, and importantly how we will do it. The six principles by which the council will evidence its structured approach to achieving good governance are as follows:
- Focussing on the purpose of the authority and on outcomes for the community and creating and implementing a vision for the local area
- Councillors and officers working together to achieve a common purpose with clearly defined functions and roles
- Promoting the values for the authority and demonstrating the values of good governance through upholding high standards of conduct and behaviour
- Taking informed and transparent decisions which are subject to effective scrutiny and managing risk
- Developing the capacity and capability of councillors and officers to be effective
- Engaging with local people and other stakeholders to ensure robust public accountability.
The Code of Corporate Governance will be reviewed periodically by the Audit and Governance Committee.