How to request information

How you can access information held by us via a freedom of information request.

What you can request

The Freedom of Information Act (FOI Act) gives a right of public access to all recorded information held by Oxfordshire County Council unless an exemption from release applies. The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 provide a similar right of access to environmental information held by the council.

However, these acts do not give an automatic right to council documents or other types of records. There may be exemptions that apply in the public interest or to protect personal data. 

Information that's already available

Oxfordshire County Council already makes available a large amount of information through several means including this website. Before making your request, please do check whether the information you are looking for is already available to you. The open information page lists some of the commonly requested data.

Make a request for information 

Make it clear what you want to know. Think carefully about what information you are seeking. It is better to be as specific as you can about the information you are seeking, rather than asking general questions – as otherwise, we will need to contact you to clarify your request. 

You do not have to say why you want the information.

Use the form below to make a Freedom of Information and Environmental Information request.

Request information


If you are unable to use the online form, you can contact us using the details below.

Freedom of Information Team
County Hall

What happens next

We will consider your request and will respond within 20 working days.

How to make a complaint or appeal a decision

If you are unhappy with a decision made by the council in response to your request for information you can apply for an internal review of the decision.

If you remain dissatisfied then your appeal can be taken to the Information Commissioner's Office.

We are always happy to receive any comments or suggestions that you have on the way the council provides information. If you would like to make a recommendation please send us your comments using the contact details on the right.