Farming and animal health | Oxfordshire County Council

Farming and animal health

There is a wide range of legislation in the UK designed to protect the health and welfare of both domesticated and wild animals.

Animal health and welfare legislation is enforced jointly in Oxfordshire by Oxfordshire County Council and DEFRA (the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) in association with other government bodies and independent organisations like the RSPCA.

What do Trading Standards animal health officers do?

  • proactively inspect animals on farms
  • proactively inspect animals at livestock markets, slaughterhouses, hunt kennels and licensed animal gatherings
  • inspect vehicles transporting animals
  • enforce a range of legislation whilst carrying out such visits including legislation relating to disease control, animal identification, animal movements, bio-security, animal welfare and animal by-products
  • register performing animals
  • responsible for the monitoring and enforcement of illegally imported animals.

We also respond to public referrals in all of these areas.

Cruelty to animals - who should you contact?

Trading Standards works with DEFRA in enforcing legislation governing the health and welfare of farm animals. This includes responding to complaints of neglect or ill treatment of livestock on farms, during transport, at markets, etc.

If you suspect a problem related to farm animals report it to the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06. Your call will be treated in confidence.

If you suspect that any other animal is being subjected to any form of cruelty then you should contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

Pages in this section

Disposal of an animal carcass

Guidance on the disposal of animal by-products and fallen stock/carcasses.

A cow

Business Companion

Free, impartial legal guidance for businesses.

Home page for the business companion website.

Registering and recording

Who to contact to register an animal movement.

A goats head

Animal feed stuffs

Trading Standards has a role to play in relation to feeding stuffs and agriculture.

Performing animals registration

How to apply for a licence to exhibit, use or train performing animals.

Filling in a form
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback