Holidays for disabled people | Oxfordshire County Council

Holidays for disabled people

There are many types of holidays for people who are ill, frail or have a disability.

Find respite services including holidays and breaks near me.

Enter a postcode or place name:



There are also organisations and charities which can help you to plan your own holiday, with advice about travel and insurance for people with special needs.

Local support

Dial-a-ride in Oxford
Dial-a-ride is a door-to-door service for those who are unable to use, or find it difficult to use, public transport.

British Red Cross
A network of medical loan depots which can lend aids and equipment, including wheelchairs. Your local branch can loan the equipment or put you in touch with a branch near your holiday location.
Tel: 01235 552660

National support

3H Fund 
Organises subsidised group holidays for physically disabled children and adults with the support of volunteer helpers so that family carers can have a separate and much needed break.
Tel: 01892 547 474

An organisation which provides special care services for children, adults and families with special needs; including holidays and respite care, children's homes, adult day care and residential assessments for families in crisis.
Tel: 01263 822 161

Caravan Sitefinder
Provides information about caravan-based holidays, including specific information for disabled people, their family and friends.
Tel: 08456 444 185

Enable Holidays 
Travel agency offering a range of accessible overseas holidays for disabled people, their families and friends.
Tel: 08712 224 939

Campaigns for better lifestyles for disabled people and their families, and publishes an annual holiday guide for disabled people, with detailed information on around 1,500 places to stay across the UK. This can be bought via their website. Your local carers' centre may have a copy. Radar also operates a National Key Scheme (NKS) offering independent access to approximately 4,000 locked public toilets around the UK.
Tel: 020 7250 3222
Minicom: 020 7250 4119

Holiday Care
Offers holiday and travel information for disabled and older people.
Tel: 0845 124 9971.

Contact a Family
Offers information about organising and funding a holiday with your disabled child.
Helpline: 0808 808 3555
Textphone: 0808 808 3556

Patient UK 
nationwide patient information website with information about holidays.

Concessionary fares

District councils are now obliged by law to provide free off-peak bus travel for disabled and elderly people. Some councils also offer travel into other district council areas and travel tokens. Who to contact about concessionary fares on public transport.

Local walks

You can download a set of fully accessible short walks information leaflets from our webpages at The Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Thames Path National Trails Team also produce downloadable information for walk information.

Carer's allowance

If you are claiming carer's allowance, you can go on holiday on your own (in the UK or abroad) for four weeks in any six-month period and still get the benefit. You must have been getting carer's allowance for at least 22 weeks before you leave.

If you go abroad with the person you look after and the main reason you are with them is to care for them, you can get your carer's allowance for as long as they continue to get their disability benefit. For more information contact your local carers' centre or look on the Department of Work and Pensions website.  

Download guides

Last reviewed
29 July 2016
PrintPrint Short linkShort link to this pageGive us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback