Advice for adopted adults | Oxfordshire County Council

Advice for adopted adults

How to access your adoption records, and advice on seeking information about your birth relatives.

Accessing your adoption records

Birth Information before Adoption (BIBA), formerly known as Birth Records Counselling

This is a service for adopted adults living in Oxfordshire or adopted adults who were placed for adoption by Oxfordshire County Council. Initially applicants should contact the General Register Office (GRO) for their birth information.

If the adoption order was granted before 12 November 1975, then the birth information will be sent by the General Register Office  to the specialist social worker in the Adoption and Permanence Support Team who will share this information with you. If the adoption order was granted after 12 November, the General Register Office will send the information on your original birth certificate directly to you.

If you wish to obtain further information about your adoption by accessing your adoption file, you should call the Oxfordshire County Council Adoption and Permanence Support Helpdesk on 01865 897981.

In most situations we cannot provide a tracing or intermediary service. If you require these services, you will need to contact an independent registered Adoption Support Agency.

Useful websites to look at are:

Support group for adopted adults

You may be interested to know that we are planning to start a support group for adopted adults. If you would be interested in attending this, please call the Adoption and Permanence Support Helpdesk on 01865 897981.

Services for birth relatives of adopted adults in Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire County Council cannot provide a service to birth relatives who wish to trace or meet with adopted adult relatives. If you are a birth relative in this situation, you should contact:

‚ÄčThere will usually be a charge for this service.

Last reviewed
09 June 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback