Identifying young children with SEN | Oxfordshire County Council

Identifying young children with SEN

Help with deciding if a young child has an additional need.

All children develop differently. If you are worried about any aspect of your child’s development it may be helpful to talk to your health visitor, GP or someone at your local Children and Family Centre. They can provide advice and information about further support.

Guidance for settings

If your child attends an early education setting, such as a day nursery, pre–school or childminder, you can speak to your child’s key person. They are there to help and will also be aware of your child’s learning, development and care.

Early years settings in Oxfordshire have guidance (pdf format, 762Kb) to help identify, assess, plan and provide for young children with SEN.

Two-year-old health and development check

Every two-year-old child should be offered a health check. The check is an opportunity to discuss your child’s development with a member of health service.

The health visiting team will contact the parents of each child and arrange the health check, which is usually held in a clinic or children’s centre.

All two-year-olds attending an early education setting, such as a day nursery, pre–school or child minder, will also have an Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Progress Check.

Your child’s key person (in the setting) will meet with you to share what they know about your child including their likes, strengths and overall development. This means that settings and parents can plan together how to help and support their child. If additional advice or support is needed this can be sought as early as possible.

Last reviewed
02 August 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback