Getting repairs done after a flood | Oxfordshire County Council

Getting repairs done after a flood

How to avoid becoming a victim of rogue traders after a flood.

Be very wary who you are dealing with. If you are concerned contact the Trading Standards doorstep crime team for advice on 0845 051 0845.

You may be tempted to accept the first offer that comes along if your property has been damaged.

Be prepared for cowboy builders and repair companies who may try to exploit the situation. Never agree to have work done by someone who appears at your door unannounced.

If you believe the damage needs dealing with urgently speak to your insurance company first. If you do not have adequate insurance cover and need help to find a reliable trader, follow this advice:

  • Always try to get three quotes from reputable companies. Use a builder who belongs to a trade association.
  • The best way to choose a trader is by personal recommendation.
  • Fix a price and ask for a written quotation with the name and address of the builder and a landline contact number - don’t rely on a mobile number.
  • Consider making staged payments and keeping back a significant part of the cost until you are happy the repair job has been completed. If you do this, you can ask for defects to be put right without the need to make a claim or go to court for compensation.
  • contact district council housing teams for a list of approved tradesmen.
  • If you are buying goods or services costing over £100, consider paying by credit card, as you may be able to claim your money back from the card company if the trader fails to honour the contract.

Claim management companies

You should be able to make claims directly to your insurer. In most cases there is no need to use service companies to negotiate on your behalf.

You may be visited by claims management companies offering their services. You need to be aware that they will charge you for their service, and if you decide to use them, you should ensure that they are registered by the Ministry of Justice.

Finding a builder

Trading Standards operates an approved trader scheme called 'Buy with Confidence'. You can access the details of approved, trustworthy local traders in your area at

Other websites which might help you to find a local builder include:

Further information

For further flood insurance advice, visit the Association of British Insurers website at

If you are in dispute with your insurance company, for example in relation to a claim, your can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service for advice and to make a complaint. Telephone: 0845 080 1800 or visit

Last reviewed
09 August 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback