Sandbags | Oxfordshire County Council


How to get sandbags, and where to get advice on how to build a sandbag wall or dam.

While local authorities have no statutory obligation to provide material for flood protection, district councils may supply sandbags in an emergency situation. However, when demand is high it may not be possible to meet all requests.

In a flooding emergency, district councils will give delivery priority to vulnerable groups and the infirm. Other residents may arrange to collect them from designated drop-off points and council depots.

As a householder you should also consider measures that you can take in advance to prepare for potential flooding. You could buy your own sandbags from builders' merchants, or use growbags, bin liners or plastic bags filled with earth, which can also be effective in keeping water out. Sandbags are not the only form of flood protection equipment.

For sandbags to provide their full benefit, it is vital they are used correctly. The Environment Agency website gives advice on how to build a sandbag wall and other ways to keep flood water out of your property.

How to build a sandbag wall


District Councils


Last reviewed
09 August 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback