Wholetime firefighters

Recruitment information for wholetime firefighters.

Wholetime (full time duty system) firefighters work a rolling shift pattern at a fire station which is operated 24hrs a day. These shifts total around 42 hrs per week on average and include two day shifts and two night shifts. This involves staying on station for the whole shift (which is usually ten or 14 hrs) unless performing duties off station.

There are six Wholetime stations in this county with three of them crewed 24 hours a day. We call that ‘Watch keeping’. The other three stations are ‘Day Crewed’ where the crew work a normal day duty and also respond from home at nights when rostered to do so. Each fire station in the county also has a part time on call crew who work on the retained duty system or RDS.

Wholetime firefighters perform a range of duties when at work including home fire safety checks and smoke alarm fitting, checks on business' during peak times such as bonfire night Christmas and other festivals, fire intelligence familiarisation, road topography, school visits, safety talks to the community and of course lots of training, both on and off station. Approximately 90% of the duty time is taken doing these duties to keep us all safe. The remaining 10% is dealing with emergencies.

Wholetime vacancies

There are no plans for wholetime recruitment in the near future.

If you want to receive an email alert when we advertise for firefighters in the future, follow the instructions below:

  • Click my account and select my job alerts
  • Click add new search
  • Under occupational group you will need to select "Fire Service - Wholetime Firefighters" then click search
  • Click save this search and give it a name
  • Go to My job alerts using the My Account link at the top of the page and click to enable the email alert.
Last reviewed
01 July 2013

Related pages

No related pages listed
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback