On-street parking permits

How to apply for permits to park in Oxford's controlled parking zones (CPZs).

parking permit

We deal with parking permits for on-street parking in areas where controlled parking zones have been introduced (where parking is only permitted in designated parking bays). At the moment, Oxford is the only area of the county to have controlled parking zones.

Applying for a permit

Please note: from 1 July 2015 the price of resident permits, visitors’ permits and contractor permits increased. To find out the new charges, please refer to the relevant application form below.

To apply for or renew resident, business or contractor parking permits in Oxford (including visitors' permits for your property), visit the Oxford Parking Shop.

Welcome all students

If you are moving into a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) and require a parking permit please ensure the vehicle for which you are applying is registered in your name and at the Oxford address. A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) will be required to support your application.

Please note: being the named driver on an insurance policy will not qualify you for a parking permit.

Applications must also be supported with official proof of your residency such as your fully signed termed Tenancy Agreement (should be signed by yourself, the Letting Agency and witnessed) or your Council Tax Student Exemption Certificate or a recently dated utility bill or financial statement.

You cannot apply for permits online because of the nature of our administration processes. However, we will accept scanned or postal applications providing they are supported with the documents detailed below.

See below for more information about these permits.

How to pay

You can pay for parking permits, penalty charge notices and bus lane enforcements with:

You will be sent a letter two weeks before your permit expires, with details of how to renew.

New parking permit

You will need to provide:

Visitors' permit

You will need to complete an application form and provide proof of residency as above.

Change of vehicle

If you change your vehicle, you can get a replacement parking permit from Oxford Parking Shop free of charge.

Please return the existing permit along with the new keeper's supplement slip or sales invoice and a recent household bill or financial statement to prove residency. An application form must also be completed with details of the new vehicle.

Contractors' permits

If you are a tradesperson, and need a Contractors' Permit to work in a controlled parking zone in Oxford, please complete an application form and return it to oxford.controlroom@nslservices.co.uk. Alternatively you may fax your application form through to 01865 201709, providing at least five days' notice.

How to pay

From 10 April 2012 a standard charge of £20 per permit will apply (exclusive of tax) regardless of the number of days the Contractors' Permit is required. So the charge for one day will be the same as a one week (seven day) permit.

Once we have received your application - and if it is approved - we will contact you with details of how to pay and retrieve your Contractors' Permit.

Payments can be made by debit/credit card, cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council'. You may collect and pay for your permit in person at the Oxford Parking Shop.

Further information

For help or general enquiries with regards to applying for your Contractors' Permits please contact NSL Services direct on 0845 337 1138 option 3.


Last reviewed
27 February 2015
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback