Pay a parking or bus gate fine

How to pay your parking ticket (PCN or ECN).

If you pay your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or Excess Charge Notice (ECN) within the shorter time specified on the notice, this will reduce your fine by half. After this time, the maximum amount will apply.

Information you will need

  • The Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or Excess Charge Notice (ECN) number from your parking ticket
  • Your car registration number
  • Your bank details

If you choose to pay online, please note that due to increased security measures, our online payment system will ask you for further verification before payment can be completed.

Tickets issued in Oxford

Other ways to pay

  • call 0845 337 1138 to pay by phone (credit and debit cards only)
  • pay by post, but please do not send cash. Make your cheque or postal order payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council', and write the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) number on the back of the cheque. Complete the slip on the PCN, attach it to the cheque, and send it to the address given on the notice.
  • pay in person at the Oxford Parking Shop

This includes PCNs issued through bus lane enforcement in Oxford.

Tickets issued in Abingdon or Henley

You can:

  • pay by phone: for tickets issued in Abingdon call 01604 625614, or in Henley call 01604 625615
  • pay by post, but please do not send cash. Make your cheque or postal order payable to 'Oxfordshire County Council', and write the Excess Charge Notice (ECN) number on the back of the cheque. Complete the slip on the ECN, attach it to the cheque, and send it to:

    Vinci Park Services Ltd
    PO Box 597
    NN4 7XN

Tickets issued in West Oxfordshire

If you have a penalty charge notice headed 'West Oxfordshire District Council' please contact them directly through their website West Oxon or by post:

West Oxfordshire District Council
Elmfield Council Offices
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB

Tickets issued elsewhere in the county

If your ticket was issued elsewhere in the county, please follow the instructions on the back of the notice.

What happens if you don’t pay a bus gate fine

If, after 28 days, we have not received payment or representation has not been made, a statutory document called the charge certificate will be served and the fine will increase by 50 per cent, meaning that the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle will now be legally responsible to pay £90.

If a penalty charge notice (PCN) remains unpaid 14 days after a charge certificate has been served, we can register the debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) (Oxfordshire County Council’s TEC is Northampton County Court). Oxfordshire County Council has to pay a fee of £7 to register each PCN. Once a PCN has been registered with the TEC they send out authority to issue an ‘order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge’ (PE2). This would list the amount outstanding against the penalty charge notice.

The amount outstanding comprises of the unpaid PCN, plus the £7 registration fee. Once in receipt of the PE2 (which would also include a statutory declaration form, or PE3) the motorist has a further 21 days from receipt of the order to either pay the amount outstanding or send to the TEC a completed statutory declaration form (PE3) requesting that registration of the unpaid penalty charge notice be revoked.

However, there are only three grounds on which a statutory declaration can be made, these are:

  1. The motorist did not receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
  2. The motorist made representation to the council about the penalty charge and did not receive a rejection notice.
  3. The motorist appealed to a parking adjudicator against the council’s decision to reject his or her representations, but received no response to the appeal.

A statutory declaration must be signed by the motorist in the presence of a Commissioner for Oaths, an officer of a county court appointed by a judge to take affidavits, or a justice of the peace. Filing a false declaration knowingly and wilfully is a criminal offence under Section 5 of the Perjury Act 1911 and you may be imprisoned for up to two years or fined (or both).

Where the motorist has been served with an order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge (PE2) and fails to pay or to complete a statutory declaration, the council can ask the TEC for authority to prepare a warrant of execution. This authorises a certificated bailiff after gaining entrance to the property to levy distress which entitles them to seize and sell goods belonging to the motorist to the value of the outstanding amount plus the cost of executing the warrant.

Last reviewed
02 May 2014
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback