Older person's bus pass

How to apply for concessionary travel if you are 65 or over.

Bus pass

The age of eligibility for an older person's bus pass is now equal to the pensionable age for women.

Please note: Between April 2010 and November 2018 this will increase from 60 to 65.

If you use our online system to apply, it includes a built-in 'date of eligibility' calculator that will:

  • Direct you to the application page (only if you are eligible), or
  • Confirm the date that you will become eligible (you can apply 1 month prior to becoming eligible)

Alternatively the Pension Service has provided an online calculator for you to use.

How to apply or renew your pass

Choose ONE of these ways to apply or renew your pass.

Refer to the Documentation needed section below before commencing


Use the online form to apply.  If you have lived at your current address for less than three years, you may be asked to provide proof of your address, such as a current utility bill.

If you have use of a scanner you can attach scanned copies of any documents or a photo you are asked to provide. You won't need to send them in by post.

By Phone

Phone our Customer Service Centre on 0845 310 1111 and select option 2 to request an application form be sent to you.  Alternatively you can print a copy of the application form (see below)

Calls are charged at local rate.

By Post

Send your completed paper application form and necessary documentation to:

Concessionary Fares Team
Oxfordshire Customer Services
PO Box 842

In Person

Please take your completed application form, including a passport style photo, to your nearest participating library where they can submit it for processing, or you can complete the application online at your local library.

There are ten libraries in Oxfordshire that provide a check and send service for your bus pass. You will need to make sure that your application form is fully completed with all the necessary supporting documentation.

Documentation needed

Please do not provide original documentation as we cannot return it to you

Passport style photos, with your name and date of birth on the back, will need to be provided with your application

Evidence of residency

One of the following documents is acceptable as evidence of residency:

  • Photocopy of a pension letter
  • Photocopy of a current driving licence
  • Photocopy of a recent utility bill*
  • Photocopy of a bank or credit card statement*
  • Photocopy of a council tax bill

*No more than 3 months old

Proof of identity/proof of age

One of the following documents is acceptable as proof of identity/proof of age

Please do not provide original documentation as we cannot return it to you

  • Birth certificate (plus marriage certificate if the applicants name has changed)
  • Pension letter
  • Current passport - the identification page. If your passport is not an EU passport, a copy of the visa page is also required
  • Current driving licence (card or paper copy)


Renewing Passes:

  • Two weeks before your current bus pass expires you should receive a new one in the post.  If you don't receive one, please contact us at freebuspass@oxfordshire.gov.uk or call on 0845 310 1111 option 2.
  • If you are renewing your bus pass, you may need to provide another passport style photo.
  • If you have moved address since you last applied you will need to provide proof of your current address.

Hostel Applicants

If your proof of residency is for a hostel address, you will be issued with a temporary one year pass.

Your pass will be sent to the hostel address and will not be automatically renewed.

You are not entitled to a bus pass if:

  • your main residence is outside Oxfordshire or you have a second home in Oxfordshire which you do not occupy permanently
  • you have a visa limiting your stay in the UK, or you have no recourse to public funds


Further information


See our frequently asked questions page for more advice about bus passes, or for help with your application please contact the Customer Service Centre on 0845 310 1111

Last reviewed
15 August 2013
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback