Going into hospital | Oxfordshire County Council

Going into hospital

What to do if you have to go into hospital.

The Horton General Hospital

If you are admitted to hospital as an emergency, you may be worried about a person that you care for, your home or your pets while you are away.

Ask to speak to a hospital social worker who will be able to make alternative arrangements for their care or to secure your home. We have teams of social workers at all the Oxford city hospitals as well as the Horton Hospital in Banbury.

In community hospitals, ask a member of hospital staff for help.

Before you go

If you have a date for admission, it's important that you make plans in advance. Discuss your concerns with hospital staff when you attend clinics before your operation.

If you are 65 or older you can receive advice from the free information service Care Direct on freephone 0800 444000.

Who can help plan my care before I leave hospital?

We have social workers based in Oxfordshire hospitals who can help you plan your care for when you leave hospital. If we cannot help, we will tell you about other organisations who may be able to help.

Inform one of your nurses if:

  • you were receiving care before your admission and it will need to be resumed on discharge
  • it is clear that you will be needing care, perhaps for the first time.

The hospital will arrange for a social worker to visit you on the ward.

What care is available?

If you are leaving hospital, you can be assessed for care while you are recovering. Depending on your assessment, you may be offered a period of rehabilitation care. Help that may be available:

  • assistance with getting up in the mornings, washing, dressing, getting ready for bed
  • physiotherapy in your own home
  • regular visits to day centres
  • a rehabilitative stay in a care home or a community hospital
  • occupational therapy to help you stay in your own home.

You can find more information in our Living at home section.

Day and nightcare assistance

Oxfordshire County Council and the NHS is working with Oxfordshire's Day and Nightcare Assistance to help people who are discharged from hospital.

The team can arrange:

  • transport home from the hospital
  • a visit within 48 hours to ensure the person's needs are being met
  • a social worker will visit if the person has social care needs.

Find out more about the service from the team leaflet (pdf format, 890KB).

Red Cross

The British Red Cross provides short-term care and support in the home for people when they first arrive home from hospital. The free service is offered for up to two weeks and is provided by trained British Red Cross staff and volunteers.

Going into a care home

It may be that when you are ready to leave hospital you will decide you can no longer manage at home and you want to go into a residential care home or a nursing home.

How to avoid falling

The Oxfordshire Falls Service offers help and advice to help people to avoid falls and regain confidence if they have experienced a fall.

Organising your benefits

You need to notify benefit offices if you are going into hospital. You should immediately notify the Department for Work and Pensions and the district council office that deals with your claims for housing and council tax benefit. Find your district council.

Ask for information or download online forms in which you can tell your district council about your change of circumstances.

If you were not claiming any form of benefit prior to entering hospital, you may now be entitled to claim.

When you come out of hospital you should notify both the Department for Work and Pensions and your district housing and council tax benefit office.

This is important as you will need to have your benefit reassessed when you return home. You may also be entitled to other benefits if you have become disabled as a result of your illness. More information about benefits.

Last reviewed
01 August 2016
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback