How to check you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

Benefit Adviser

If you are not sure what you are entitled to, please visit the Benefits Adviser page on the website:

You can also find a comprehensive list of benefits on the website.

Enquiries relating to a specific benefit claim should be directed to the office dealing with your claim.

Welfare reform and benefit changes

The Government is in the process of making a number of changes to the welfare system. These include the introduction of:

  • Size eligibility criteria for social housing – this means that any household that occupies a house with more bedrooms than they need has their benefit payment reduced
  • A benefit cap – meaning there is now a maximum amount that any household can receive in benefits
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP) to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – this is the case for new claimants now, but from October 2013 it will also apply to any DLA claimants who have a change in circumstances, reach the age of 16 or want to renew an award that is ending
  • Universal Credit, replacing six benefits for claimants aged between 16 and 64 years – this will be fully rolled-out by October 2017
  • Local Council Tax Reduction schemes, replacing Council Tax Benefit – so if you receive Council Tax Benefit you may see a change to your scheme in the future

District councils are responsible for administering the Housing Benefit elements of these changes, and the benefit cap, until Universal Credit comes into place. They are also responsible for administering localised Council Tax reduction schemes.

For more detailed information on these changes, and sources of support, please visit the relevant pages on your local district council websites or call their benefits team:

Telephone: 0345 302 2313 Web: South Oxfordshire District Council

Telephone 01993 861030 Web: West Oxfordshire District Council

Disability benefits – once you have made a claim

You can get advice on Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance claims from the Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance Helpline, who should have access to your records.

Telephone: 08457 123 456 Textphone: 08457 22 44 33
Email and postal address if you’re 16 or over: Email:

Disability benefits helpline
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill
Lancashire FY2 0YE

Email and postal address if you’re under 16:

Disability Benefits Child Unit
PO Box 34
B99 1AR

Email for attendance allowance:

You can get advice on a Personal Independence Payment claim (PIP) via the PIP helpline.

Telephone: 0845 850 3322 Textphone: 0845 601 6677

The helplines are open from 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Direct payments

Direct payments are cash payments we may be able to provide instead of giving you a service.

Direct payments can be made to:

  • people aged 16 or over who are in need of community care services
  • carers aged 16 who are eligible for carers’ services
  • people with parental responsibility for disabled children.

More Information about direct payments

Support and information links

Age UK Oxfordshire

Telephone: 0844 887 0005

Carers UK

The voice of Carers –
Advice line: 0808 808 7777 (Wednesday and Thursday 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm)

Citizens Advice Oxfordshire

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Visit Citizens Advice Oxfordshire to find your local office.

Oxfordshire carers


Self-directed support in Oxfordshire


Last reviewed
22 July 2013
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback