Advocacy and having your say on SEN matters | Oxfordshire County Council

Advocacy and having your say on SEN matters

Advocacy is a way of helping people to have their voice heard about things that are important.

An advocate can help you to think about choices and options, to find out information and to make your views known. Advocates are independent and impartial, they will not give you opinions or make judgments.

The Care Act (2014) says that in some circumstances the local authority must provide independent advocacy for young people who are undergoing transition assessments.

Free advocacy services

Oxfordshire Advocacy provide free advocacy services for any adult in Oxfordshire who needs help to say what they want and get the services they need. They also provide an independent mental capacity advocacy service.

SEAP provide free advocacy services for people with mental health conditions and also to help people with making a complaint about NHS health care.

Our Shared Lives scheme gives adults without close family or friends and who are in need of care and support the opportunity to share in the family life of a Shared Lives carer. As part of this Shared Lives carers can offer advocacy support.

Last reviewed
23 February 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback