Apply for temporary traffic lights

How to apply for a licence to place temporary traffic lights on the highway.

If you are applying to take up part of a road for construction activity and require temporary (portable) traffic signals, you need to apply to us for permission. Application is made under Highways Act 1980 and must adhere to chapter eight of the signage requirements of the New Road and Street Works Act 1991.

How to apply

The following supporting documents are required with your application:

  • scale map
  • 1:1,250 scale map of location
  • site plan

Application for portable traffic signals (pdf format, 140 Kb).

If permission has been granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept to.

Email the completed application form to

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions about procedures or licences should be directed to them.


There is no fee for this application.


We aim to process your application within three working days and will then inform you of our decision.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.