It is an offence to excavate the highway without lawful consent or authority
Any private contractors who want to carry out roadwork excavations in the highway must apply for, and be granted, a licence before work starts.
The ‘highway’ includes carriageway, footway and verge. Carrying out such work without a licence is an offence and may result in prosecution. Those granted a Road Opening Licence become "undertakers" (for the purposes of New Roads and Streetworks Act -NRSWA), and because of that take on responsibility for carrying out the duties and responsibilities imposed by the Act and its associated regulations and Codes of Practice
Licences are issued for such works as sewer connections, trial holes and boundary wall foundations etc.
How to apply
Complete the Road Opening application form - Notification of Intention (pdf format, 149Kb) to carry out an excavation in the highway below, and send it to the RoadOpeningsandSection50@Oxfordshire.gov.uk with a 1:2500 sketch plan and the fee of £110.
You will also be required to submit copies of New Road and Streetworks cards for Operative and Supervisor (front and back) to be submitted with this form. Also Public Liability Insurance of a minimum of £10 million must be provided up to the completion of the permanent reinstatement (copy of certificate to be submitted with the application form)
Most applications are likely to be processed within one calendar month and we will contact you to confirm our decision. The council cannot be held liable for any delays arising to your project from a delay to making a decision on your application.
Notification procedures for different types of work
Major Works - which require a road closure or have a planned duration of 11 working days or more
- an application (Form-N1) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be submitted three months in advance of the works commencing date and then the Licensee must give 10 working days notice of intended starting date to the Street Authority. Upon commencement of works Notification of Actual Start of works (Form–N2) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be completed and sent to the Street Authority by the end of the next working day after starting the work.
Standard Works - that have a planned duration of 10 working days or less
- an application (Form-N1) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be submitted one month in advance of the works commencing date and then the Licensee must give 10 working days notice of the intended starting date to the Street Authority. Upon commencement of works Notification of Actual Start of works (Form–N2) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be completed and sent to the Street Authority by the end of the next working day after starting the work.
Minor Works - that have a planned duration of three working days or less
- an application (Form-N1) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be submitted one month in advance of the works commencing date and then the Licensee must give three working days notice of the intended starting date to the Street Authority. Upon commencement of works Notification of Actual Start of works (Form–N2) (pdf format, 85Kb) must be completed and sent to the Street Authority by the end of the next working day after starting the work.
These are the required notice periods and the Street Authority may need more time to process the application in certain circumstances, for instance for works that may have a significant impact on traffic flow on strategic routes or lead to lengthy road closures. However, shorter periods of notification may also be possible but must be agreed by Oxfordshire County Council in conjunction with the Statutory Undertakers likely to be affected.
Please contact RoadOpeningsandSection50@Oxfordshire.gov.uk for guidance.
In cases when the use of traffic signals is required as part of the work a separate Temporary Traffic Signal Application (Form S50-T) (pdf format, 136Kb) must also be received together with the main application (Form N1).
It is the responsibility of the Applicant to inform the Street Authority of the completion of the reinstatement by the end of the following working day, stating whether the reinstatement is interim or permanent. An interim reinstatement must be made permanent within six months. The interim reinstatement must be maintained until made permanent. It is in the interest of the Applicant to ensure that Notification of completion of work (Form -R) (pdf format, 28Kb) is sent as soon as possible. The end guarantee period is set from the date Form R is received for the permanent reinstatement. Back dated registrations are not permitted under the NRSWA Act 1999.
All completed forms and notifications need to be sent to RoadOpeningsandSection50@Oxfordshire.gov.uk
During the works
The Applicant must permit the Street Authority to monitor his or his contractors performance throughout the following stages of street works which are :
- signing, guarding and excavation
- signing, guarding and reinstatement
- immediately after permanent reinstatement
- between six and nine months after permanent reinstatement and during the one month preceding the end of the guarantee period.
Guarantee of works
The guarantee period begins from the date the Street Authority is notified (by Form-R) of the permanent reinstatement and will last for two years for reinstatements up to 1.5m deep and three years for deeper ones. It is therefore important to notify the Street Authority as soon as the works have been completed.
Specification for reinstating the highway
The highway reinstatement must be in accordance with the current NRSWA reinstatement specification.
- Notification procedures and general guidance - RoadOpeningsandSection50@Oxfordshire.gov.uk
- Work notification forms - RoadOpeningsandSection50@Oxfordshire.gov.uk
- Timing, Coordination and execution of works - firstname.lastname@example.org
List of forms
- Road opening application form - Notification of Intention to carry out an excavation in the highway (pdf format, 149Kb).
- Form-N1 - Initial notification of expected start of works/10 day notification of start of works (pdf format, 85Kb)
- Form-N2 - Notification of the actual start of works (pdf format, 85Kb)
- Form-R - Notification of completion of works (pdf format, 28Kb)
- Form S50-T -Temporary Traffic Signal application (pdf format, 136Kb)